A Fall From Grace is worth watching if:
- You love Tyler Perry and would follow him into war.
- You enjoy long conversationalist dialogue scenes with zero plot payoff.
- You want to see a lot of black actors.
A Fall From Grace is not worth watching if:
- You have little patience for mediocre acting and drawn out dialogue.
- Glaring plot holes and gaps in logic will bother you.
- You expect it to be a great crime movie or thriller.
- A unique vibe compared to the average Netflix drama.
- Interesting blend of genres.
- Occasionally has an intense and interesting scene.
- Story tries too hard for something that makes such little sense.
- You may doze off or lose focus mid-scene.
- Two hour runtime means it won’t be over quick.
score: 50% CHILLIN
One sentence story summary: When gentle, law-abiding Grace confesses to killing her new husband, her skeptical young lawyer sets out to uncover the truth.
Having never seen a Tyler Perry movie before, we didn’t really know what to expect headed into A Fall From Grace. Once we discovered the main character’s name is Grace and that the cheesy title was indicative of the movie’s overall quality, things became a bit more clear…
A Fall From Grace often feels like some sort of parody, not the serious genre bending thriller it seems to want to be. There is too much needless dialogue that is neither well-acted nor moves the plot forward, the ins-and-outs of the plot itself don’t hold up to any sort of intellectual scrutiny, and there is simply little here that deserves 30 minutes of your time, let alone the full 2 hours it runs.
If you don’t fall asleep during A Fall From Grace’s many slow parts, you’ll catch the occasional moment of intensity and good acting. Most of the time, however, you’ll be fighting off zzz’s while two characters babble over the seemingly ever-present piano playing in the background.
There are a few cool and unexpected moments in A Fall From Grace, but ultimately it’s a strangely edited piece of writing and directing that doesn’t make nearly as much sense as it should.
If you disagree with most critics and love Tyler Perry movies, you might like this one. If you’ve never seen one before, now’s not the time to start.